About Edmonton GO Community Centre
The GO Community Centre is a non-profit organization committed to building a unique, world-class recreation facility focused on serving individuals, families and league teams in the Capital region. This community-based, multi-use, recreation and sports complex will be built on the University of Alberta’s South Campus, easily accessible from the new South Campus LRT station.
The GO Community Centre is a partnership among four established community sports organizations: the Edmonton Grads Basketball Centre, Ortona Gymnastics Club, Edmonton Volleyball Centre Society and the University of Alberta. The project harnesses the talents and energy of all partners to address critical issues and to create a prime venue for growth and expansion of recreation and sports opportunities for all people in the Region.
What will it provide?
The GO Community Centre will be a welcoming, safe and accessible facility for everyone! Youths will find a place to spend their evenings and weekends in productive and healthy activity, adults a place to be fitness role models and seniors a place to exercise and stay fit. The GO Community Centre will:
- get children and youth unplugged and active by increasing access to programs. This is especially important to at-risk youth who have few programs and facilities to address their unique needs
- provide opportunities for people of all ages, abilities, cultural and financial backgrounds to take part in general recreation activities; with a focus on the sports of basketball, volleyball and gymnastics
- provide much-needed quality and affordable gym space for Edmonton basketball and volleyball communities
- enable program growth and development based on real needs within the community. This may include everything from drop-in programs to new leagues as well as opportunities for existing leagues to add more teams and space
- have spaces that can be used by other groups — such as indoor soccer, badminton, martial arts, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, floor hockey, dance groups or the growing sport of futsal
- take pressure off gyms in other areas, helping them provide more access to community groups
- improve and expand recreational and competitive gymnastics programs by replacing the aging facilities used by the Ortona Gymnastics Club and the University of Alberta Gymnastics Centre
- honour and preserve the rich memory of the Edmonton Grads Basketball Team and the long history of the Ortona Gymnastics Club
- enable the Saville Centre to respond to the need for expanded fitness activities
- provide space for the University’s Golden Bear and Panda volleyball and basketball programs. As well as provide space for recreational and drop-in activities for students, academic classes, research programs, gymnastics and special events